Nokia has officially announced the availability of Nokia Browser 2.0, a major update dedicated to Nokia Series 40 devices. The new version reduces data consumption by up to 90%, making Internet access faster and cheaper for many customers. Nokia Browser 2.0 also utilizes cloud-based servers to optimize standard pages for Nokia Series 40 devices. This technique allows pages to load up to three times faster.
"With our new version, we've created a newer, faster, better browsing experience. As many consumers around the world will experience the internet for the first time through a mobile phone, this is a great step towards our goal to connect the 'Next Billion'," explains Dieter May, senior vice president of mobile phones services, Nokia.
The Nokia Browser 2.0 update supports all forms of Series 40: Touch, QWERTY and Non-Touch, including the Nokia Asha range, as well as popular devices such as the Nokia C3-00, Nokia C2-03 and Nokia X3-02. The update will be pre-loaded on some current and all future Nokia Series 40 devices, while for existing users the update arrives as a free, optional over-the-air (OTA) download. New users can download it from the Nokia Store. The browser is available in 87 languages in over 200 countries and territories.
New in the Nokia Browser 2.0:
1. Faster browsing with speed improvements throughout the experience.
2. Easier access to new and popular Web apps to enable a richer and more engaging internet experience.
3. New, intuitive user interface offers one click access to search, most popular content and most valuable features.
4. Media handling enhancements provide an easier way to enjoy video, audio and images. Users can download in background mode while continuing to browse the web or queue downloads for later when performance or rates are better. Downloads can be saved to memory cards or phone memory for later offline viewing or listening.
5. One-click share on Social Networks by remembering Facebook and/or Twitter login to easily share any page URL and comments from your browser.