Cars have conventionally been used as people and luggage carriers. However, times have long changed and so has the use of the automobile. Not only do we travel with people who are dear to us, but every so often bring along some of our furry friends. Pets now have a more definitive role in our lives and we make sure that they are as comfortable as we are while traveling.
Recognizing this change, Chevrolet Philippines – the Covenant Car Company Inc. has partnered with Better Dog Canine Behavior Center to identify the ways to keep our pet pups happy and safe while traveling. Through Travel Tails, a pet-friendly event on 23 July 2015 at Chevrolet Makati, guests from the blogging and motoring community will be exposed to proper dog training and care when on the road.
Chevrolet’s Tips for Travelling with a Pet
- Not all canines can handle road trips, so it’s best to take a few practice runs before a major journey.
- Restrain dogs during car trips for their safety and yours. The Chevrolet Trailblazer’s spacious cargo area can accommodate a good-sized pet carrier. Never let a pet ride in front because it could be seriously injured or killed if an air bag deploys.
- As with children, never leave any pet alone in the car. On a warm, sunny day even with the windows open, a parked vehicle can become dangerously hot in no time and may result in a pet suffering from heatstroke. Furthermore, unattended pets can be stolen.
- For dogs with anxiety issues or who bark a lot, try giving them chew treats to keep them occupied. Chewing and licking are very soothing to dogs and may help yours relax.
- Identify dog-friendly restaurants, hotels and dog parks on your travel route.
- Some people snacks – like chocolate – can be fatal to dogs. Make sure that your picnic basket or food stash is not accessible to your dog.
- Bring a recent photo of your pet, in case you are accidentally separated from it. In addition, never let your dog leave the vehicle without a collar, ID tag and leash.
The Chevrolet Trailblazer and Chevrolet Captiva
Two of Chevrolet’s flagship models are among the best vehicles to bring pets along for out-of-town trips and city cruising. The Chevrolet Trailblazer is the most powerful and capable in its class while the Captiva, the only turbo diesel midsize crossover, combines car-like comfort, power and flexible 7-seat configuration.
Unknown to many, it is essential for your car to have a good suspension system to keep your pet stress free when traveling. With the Chevrolet Trailblazer and Captiva – two of the most pet-friendly vehicles among the Chevy model line – you can be sure that your dog will feel relaxed and at ease as these SUVs offer low NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness). The Trailblazer also features 2nd and 3rd row air-conditioning that are ideal for pets on hot summer days.
Ace of Space
The Trailblazer and Captiva models both have spacious cabins that not only allow enough leg and paw room but also space for pet toys, food, water containers, a good-sized carrier and other pet needs. Both the Chevrolet Captiva and Trailblazer have flexible fold flat seating configurations that adapt to your cargo-loading requirements. The Trailblazer has an impressive 2,175 liters of storage space when both the 2nd and 3rd row seats are folded.
Here, there, go anywhere
The Chevy Trailblazer is born to be ready for extreme road and off-road challenges. Equipped with a 2nd generation Duramax diesel engine that delivers best-in-class power and torque, a high stance that can clear up to 800mm of water wading depth and safety features like hill assist and descent control functions, the Trailblazer makes outdoor adventures with your furry companion more fun.
Tech savvy & dog friendly
The Chevrolet Trailblazer LTX Automatic Transmission comes with a 7-inch android system with free 1 year Globe Tattoo internet connection that can provide help during emergency situations such as finding the nearest veterinary clinic in unfamiliar locales.
Less for more
Both the Chevy Captiva and Trailblazer are powered by turbo diesel engines with 6-speed automatic transmissions. The Captiva has an ECO Drive button feature that further improves fuel economy. The fuel efficiency that both SUVs deliver means less costs, more savings, more miles and fun travel memories for you, your family and your canine friend.
Add to all that the peace of mind of having 5 years’ worth of warranty and a free 3-year 24/7 roadside assistance, that assures you of a safe and worry-free journey.