|Image credits: Iloilo City Government|
The Iloilo City Government has formally opened the 6-week celebration of the 78th Charter Day Anniversary with a mass and short program at the City Hall, last July 16. You can check out the schedule of activities of this historic event that the City Tourism Office has released after the jump.
Iloilo, as a chartered city, was formally inaugurated on August 25, 1937 after the surrounding municipalities of La Paz, Mandurriao, Molo and Arevalo were merged with the progressive town of Iloilo on July 16, 1937, by virtue of Commonwealth Act No.158.
Local history shows that the municipality of Iloilo was then the chief port and trading center of Panay and Negros island. It was initially elevated into a city by the Queen Regent of Spain in October 1889 and a city government was established the following year. However, all cities with the exception of Manila, were downgraded into towns when the Americans colonized the Philippines.
Iloilo City 78th Charter Day Celebration Schedule of Activities and Events
- August 7-9 - Mayor Jed Patrick E. Mabilog Shoot Fest - Brgy. Ticud, La Paz
- August 10 - Iloilo City Moments And Memories Painting Contest - La Fiesta Hotel
- August 14 - Pulong Pulong On Real Property Tax - Covered Gym Blk 17 Mandurriao
- August 13-14 - Vice Mayor’s Debate Cup (Inter High School) - SP Conference Room, 6th Floor, Iloilo City Hall
- August 15-16 - Inter-High School Arnis Tournament - SM City Iloilo
- August 15-16 - ARTE SA KALYE - Esplanade II
- August 18 - Mr. & Ms. Iloilo City Swimsuit & Talent Competition - SM City Iloilo
- August 20 - Mr. & Ms. Iloilo City Casual & Gown Competition - Robinsons Iloilo
- August 18-25 - Charter Diskwento Sale - Citywide
- August 21 - Extemporaneous Speaking Contest - Robinsons Place Iloilo
- August 21 - Oratorical Contest - Robinsons Place Iloilo
- August 22 - Vice Mayor’s Debate Cup (Inter High School) - SP Conference Room, 6th Floor, Iloilo City Hall
- August 22 - Quiz Bee - Robinson Place Iloilo
- August 22 - Job Fair - Robinsons Place Iloilo
- August 22 - Mr. & Ms. Iloilo City Coronation - Robinsons Place Iloilo
- August 22 - Philippine National Triathlon Trials (Race for the Iloilo River) - Joe III Garden
- August 23-24 - Mom & Baby Expo 2015 - Robinsons Place Iloilo
- August 24 - Mass Wedding (78 couples) - Amigo Mall
- August 25 - Charter Day Parade - Assembly point: Gaisano City
- August 25 - The Mayor's Ball / Most Outstanding City Government Employee - Diamond Jubilee Hall, Mabini Street
- August 30 - Cosplay fest 2015 - SM City Iloilo
The City Government has already asked Malacañang to declare August 25 as a special non-working holiday in Iloilo City.
Update: August 19, 2015 - Malacañang has officially declared that August 25, 2015 is a special non-working day in the City of Iloilo.